Newton Power Choice Program Offers Bulk Buying of Electricity Known as “Aggregation”

The City’s Newton Power Choice program for households and small businesses will offer bulk buying of electricity, otherwise known as “aggregation.”

The Newton Coalition for Climate Action (NCCA), of which Green Newton is a member, recommends that the Mayor of Newton set a high percent of 40% New England Class 1 renewable electricity for the standard option in the initial contract. With this option and the additional 13% the state currently requires of Class 1 renewable energy, the total amount of Class 1 renewable energy in Newton would be 53%.

To learn about the opportunity for a high percent of renewable energy in Newton’s aggregation contract visit http://newtonclimateaction.org/newton-power-choice/ 

AND please sign the letter of support for the 40% option by clicking on the following link: http://newtonclimateaction.org/ncca-letter-of-support/

The final cost for the program will be known when the contract goes out for bid next fall. Eversource will continue to deliver the electricity and it is anticipated that for the average Newton household currently paying $100 a month for electricity, increasing the renewable component by 40% would mean a 5% increase or approximately $5 more a month. In Brookline, currently at 25% above the state mandate for a total of 38% Class 1 green, the cost is even less, currently below the cost to ratepayers buying directly from Eversource. We want to ensure that people are aware that they can opt out of the program or choose higher or lower levels of renewable energy. Low-income households will see no change in their fuel subsidy.

This is an unique opportunity for residents and businesses to buy more New England wind and solar power, and reduce demand for dirty fossil fuels, protect our health, create local jobs and keep billions of dollars in Massachusetts.