Green Newton is a small, volunteer-driven non-profit organization dedicated to creating sustainable solutions to environmental problems in Newton and beyond. GN has accomplished a great deal through the outreach and advocacy efforts of our very active and dedicated board. Through the work of many volunteers, we have achieved numerous milestones in recent years. Building on this experience, we are committed to leading the Newton community closer to a carbon neutral future. Our 5-year plan goals include working closely with the City of Newton’s 5-Year Climate Action Plan goals, strengthening our advocacy work, and broadening our community through membership and fundraising initiatives. To better manage increased capacity and to ensure success of implementation, we are enlisting the support of dedicated staff.
We are looking for a Program Coordinator to work in marketing, administration, membership, and other areas to help us achieve our 5-year plan goals. The Program Coordinator works collaboratively with the President, Board, consultants and other parts of the organization as needed. The Program Coordinator reports to the President.
This is a part-time hourly position averaging 18 hours per week, compensated at $28 per hour, and 3.6 weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO). Health insurance is not included. We offer flexible work hours with the possibility to work online offsite. Some work hours onsite in Newton and some evening and weekend work hours are required.
- Support Green Newton’s marketing initiatives in partnership with related committees, marketing consultants and the Board. The Program Coordinator’s marketing work will:
- assist GN in achieving goals within Newton Climate Action Plan (NCAP) and Green Newton’s 5-year plan through marketing of specific campaigns, including but not limited to HeatSmart, Newton Power Choice, virtual energy assessments, Take Action!, Newton Climate Action Plan communications, and the Newton Energy Coach;
- utilize a marketing checklist/calendar to customize mobilization of social media, print media, partner organization announcements and other means of publicizing each campaign;
- help coordinate marketing and education events such as library speakers, farmers market and village days tabling, and location visits (congregations, schools, community centers, etc.);
- measure and report on effectiveness of marketing tactics and the GN marketing plan, using Google Analytics and other tools to improve marketing outcomes;
- and review, adjust, and enhance existing marketing campaigns, tactics and tools in response to measuring effectiveness.
- Provide comprehensive support to coordinate the day-to-day activities of Green Newton and its Board. The Program Coordinator will:
- develop and maintain a deep knowledge of Green Newton systems, issues, initiatives and collaborators to support efficient decision making and information sharing;
- alert Board and President to potential problems and work cooperatively with the President, Board, and relevant stakeholders to ensure prompt resolutions;
- provide timely responses to emails and inquiries from members, potential members, Board and partners, as appropriate to PM’s work.;
- gather Board committee reports and share them with Board members in advance of meetings;
and delegate tasks to interns and volunteers and assist in their supervision.
- Manage memberships and donations. The Program Coordinator will:
- enter donations into Network for Good;
- run reports as needed for the bookkeeper, President, and fundraising committee.
prepare summaries, prepare labels and thank-you cards;
- and implement membership strategies.
- Carry out other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years of work experience preferred with at least one year of experience in project administration or other relevant position
- Experience using Google Docs, Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook in a work setting
- Also desired is a proficiency with social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram and marketing platforms such as Mailchimp and WordPress
- Knowledge of and experience in promoting environmental sustainability
- Familiarity with Newton and surrounding communities a plus
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Well-developed and proficient organizational skills and analytical skills
- Commitment to Green Newton’s work, overarching goal and our values
- Ability to work cooperatively with Green Newton’s Board
- Invested in our environmental work
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities effectively
- Demonstrated ability to get up-to-speed quickly and work independently
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic, and verbal/written communication skills, including with high volume/customer service assignments
- Excellent problem-resolution skills, and demonstrated ability to make informed decisions
- Team-first attitude and the capacity to be flexible in a dynamic work environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with internal and external stakeholders, and cultivate appropriate relationships
Facility with a range of social media platforms
- Marketing experience strongly preferred
- Fundraising experience strongly preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Remain in a stationary position for 70% or more of the time.
- Occasionally move about a workspace to access various locations
- Frequently operate office productivity machinery, such as a computer, calculator, computer printer, copier and phone.
- Occasionally ascend or descend floors
- Occasionally position oneself to crouch, stoop or kneel
- Frequently communicate with staff, volunteers and community members who may have inquiries about various topics. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Frequently interact with other staff and community members in person, virtually, or on the telephone
- Lift or move objects of up to 20 lbs. for various office and event needs.
This job description is a summary of the duties and responsibilities of this position and not an exhaustive list. This description may be changed, with our without notice, as the needs of the organization change.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] by February 19.
Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, ability and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
Green Newton does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.