Green Newton leads a forum for Newton parents and teachers interested in promoting sustainability in the classroom and beyond. About once a month, the group offers a setting for sharing experiences and ideas as well as support in facing challenges in implementing green initiatives at their schools. Some of our activities so far:
- Sharing of past and current efforts at individual schools
- A tour of Underwood Elementary in Newton, which led by faculty member Andy Gluck, has taken voluntary measures to recycle in the classroom
- Conversation with the the David Stickney, Interim Director of Facilities of the Newton Public Schools about reducing carbon footprint in the schools
- Submission of a letter from the members of School Connections to Ruthann Fuller, the Mayor of Newton and to members of the Newton Schools Committee encouraging stronger efforts at lowering the carbon footprint of our schools and a request that the City hire a sustainability director for the Newton Public Schools
- A tour of the Material Recovery Facility in Southbridge, where Newton’s recyclables get trucked and processed
Please contact Marcia Cooper at [email protected] for more information or if you are interested in attending a meeting.
Green Newton is proud to sponsor a new solar initiative for 2017–Newton Goes Solar. We are here to answer your questions on home solar installations and to get you started on going solar–providing you with detailed information online, public information … Read More
Since 2004, Green Newton has been awarding the Annual Green Newton Environmental Awards to individuals, community groups, and local businesses in recognition of their work in striving for a better environment. Awardees are announced at the May GN program at … Read More
Students for a Greener World (SGW) is a dedicated group of middle and high school students whose goal is to reach out to kids of all ages and to help them learn and practice environmentally friendly actions at home, school … Read More
Working with the City of Newton in 2015, Green Newton donated stickers with information on acceptable and unacceptable materials for recycling. Volunteers labeled 28,000 recycling bins around the city, helping residents better understand recycling procedures.
Green Newton educates residents, business people, and public institutions about wise energy use, energy efficiency and renewable energy. We feature the following energy saving initiatives: If you haven’t had a Mass Save Home Energy Assessment within the past two years, … Read More
Green Newton’s Transportation Committee is working to reduce our carbon footprint, conserve natural resources, and create a more sustainable community by expanding Newton’s transportation options. We encourage walking, bicycling and transit use and want to reduce the number of Vehicle … Read More
Green Newton organizes an event on the Newton Centre green annually in October, bringing together sustainably focused business, community groups, and area residents for a day of fun and inspiration.
Green Newton leads a forum for Newton parents and teachers interested in promoting sustainability in the classroom and beyond. About once a month, the group offers a setting for sharing experiences and ideas as well as support in facing challenges … Read More