Last month, the Massachusetts State Senate unanimously passed a fantastic bill that would price carbon, divest the pension fund from coal, triple the rate of increase of renewable energy generation, set binding interim caps for our climate pollution, and codify environmental justice into law. Yet the Massachusetts State House is now considering their own legislation that is shaping up to be less ambitious. In fact, rumor has it they may not pass any legislation at all. With the legislative session ending July 31, we have only a few weeks to motivate action.
We are calling for:
- Tripling the Renewable Portfolio Standard
- Opening up solar to low-income residents
- Banning the Pipeline Tax
- Codifying Environmental Justice into law
- Setting binding emissions caps for 2030 and 2040.
What you can do:
- Call your representatives and ask them to take the Mass Power Forward policy pledge. (Don’t know who your Rep is? – click here). Once you do call, log it here
- Flood the State House with phone calls. Sign up here to participate in multiple call storms.
- Canvass in Leadership Districts to help generate more engagement in key communities like Winthrop and Lowell (home of the Speaker of the House and the House Energy Committee Chair, respectively). Sign up here!
Please share this message with friends in other Massachusetts communities!
from Craig Altemose for Better Future Project